About the job
Your team responsibilities
MSCI ESG Research is the global standard for ESG signals, data and insights.
We provide in-depth research, ratings and analysis of the environmental, social and governance (ESG) related business practices of thousands of companies worldwide. Our research is designed to provide critical insights that can help institutional investors identify risks and opportunities that traditional investment research may overlook.
Our team’s core responsible is the production of ESG Ratings for thousands of companies, including company and industry analysis and modelling. Depending on expertise, analysts may also contribute towards impact investing products, such as green bonds, social bonds or thematic investing solutions. To support our ESG Ratings, we produce regular written research to communicate our ESG though leadership and insights. This may be further supplemented with research contributions through other channels such as conferences, webinars, and podcasts.
We work in a diverse, inclusive and collaborative environment across multiple locations, where each team member brings a different set of experiences and expertise. Our investor clients look to us as a trusted source for ESG insights.
What we will offer you: Depending on your location of your role, you can expect…
- Competitive fixed and variable compensation, holiday/vacation allowance and retirement savings plans/pensions
- A wide range of benefits including – healthcare, dental plans, risk insurances and (location dependent) – cycle-to-work schemes, gym benefits, retail discounts
- A hybrid work environment, for the vast majority of employees, offering a more progressive way of working to give you the flexibility, accountability, and responsibility to empower you to perform at your very best. At the center of this way of working is a culture which is built on a strong foundation of trust. We trust our people and they trust our organization’s leaders to support them.
- An inclusive and performance driven culture where you are empowered to maximize your potential in an environment where all individuals are respected and encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work
- A purposeful approach to Wellbeing to provide you with all the resources you need to be your best at work and in your personal life. Our Here For You Employee Assistance Program provides confidential emotional support with local experts, financial and legal advice in a wide range of issues as well as access to online information, resources and tools. All the services are available for our employees free of charge.
Your key responsibilities
Your role as the lead researcher for the retail and/or consumer discretionary industries will involve working with a diverse analyst team across multiple locations. The focus on the role is ESG Ratings analysis, including analyzing companies, reviewing the work of other analysts, supporting model development and writing research on industry trends and specific topics. The role may also involve impact investing themed projects. This also includes meeting regularly with clients to present research. The team is comprised of analysts with a wide range of backgrounds and we value collaboration and an environment of diversity, learning and sharing to continually enhance our expertise.
- To regularly publish quality research content and analyze emerging ESG issues;
- To deliver relevant, actionable insights on companies to investors, and become a trusted go-to expert on core ESG topics;
- To represent MSCI as a credible thought leader with strong point of view at conferences, external events and strategic client meetings;
- To collaborate within a wide range of teams (industry analysts, equity research, multi-asset class research, index, analytics) to produce innovative analytical models;
- To continuously improve how we think, how we model ESG risks, and how we develop solutions for investors globally;
Your skills and experience that will help you excel
- +5 years’ experience or expertise in the analysis of retail and/or consumer discretionary industries, such as apparel retail, grocery retail, department stores, internet retail sectors;
- +5 years’ experience in ESG research OR financial research at sell-side, buy-side or ratings agency OR NGOs/Academic research in sustainable business practices focused on retail and/or consumer discretionary industries;
- An analytical and critical thinker with attention to detail and the ability to work with large data sets;
- A storyteller with excellent writing, communication, and public presenting skills;
- A team player who can collaborate across a diverse global team;
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Passionate about sustainability, with a desire to bring ESG into the mainstream investment process;
How we’ll support you
- Coaching, support and encouragement from experts in your team
- Access to a wide range of learning opportunities to support your growth and development
- Customizable learning journeys to help you navigate your professional development
- Transparent performance-based compensation schemes
- Employee Resource Groups such as MSCI Pride, Black Leadership Network, Women’s Leadership Forum, Women in Tech, Asian Support Network, All Abilities and Climate Action Groups.
Source: for more information click here.