- The Director, Media Relations, US Distribution, is a key strategic leader within the communications team, with primary responsibility for media relations
- The U.S. team oversees the external communication strategy of LM’s distribution strategy in the Americas including that of product, marketing and sales in collaboration with the internal communications team
- The functions of this group include Media Relations, Executive Communications, Internal Communications, Events and collaboration with Social Media support
- This person will develop and drive all media communications strategies across television, print and radio organizations. They will also appropriately respond to media inquiries
- This individual will maintain open communication with all media, develop proactive and reactive media strategies and guide spokespeople so they can respond accurately to inquiries
- Another important aspect of the Media Relations Director role is pitching and promoting Legg Mason stories, on topics such as the evolution of our distribution in the intermediated market, retirement trends, practice management for advisors, product trends such as the adoption of new types of ETFs, SMA and CITs. They will also work to ensure that information reported about the Company is accurate
- Furthermore, this individual will cross collaborate to manage and drive educational and marketing campaigns while also obtaining and developing storylines from industry news sources
- The Director of Media Relations will regularly communicate and collaborate with the Global Legg Mason Marketing teams to drive story lines and initiatives to align with our messaging architecture
- The Director of Media Relations for the Americas manages the press strategy for the Americas distribution business, working closely with the head of communications, a team member tasked with affiliate public relations initiatives and the internal communications teams
- This is done by being proactive and resourceful in sourcing news across product, marketing and sales and maintaining a network of journalists and social network
- The job requires tight management skills and the ability to collaborate with the global team of press officers
- Other facets of the job include relaying information / news to senior management, crisis management, working with the digital team on development of social media footprint, working closely with internal communications and finally oversight of The Americas and Brazilian press in close collaboration with Western Asset.
- Raise the profile of the Legg Mason Global Distribution businesses in the Americas.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key journalists.
- Act as a spokesperson for the distribution effort, and work closely with executives in sales and products to position spokespeople for Legg Mason’s key distribution business initiatives.
- Work with Global Head to ensure that distribution promotion is consistent with Legg Mason’s corporate priorities and integrated with overall marketing efforts.
- Coordinate efforts with Legg Mason’s investment affiliate promotion, working with other members of the US team and with affiliate marketing and communications teams.
- Deliver communications documents such as briefings, Q&As, and press releases to support key business spokespeople in external communications efforts.
- Be familiar and have experience with complex problem solving and working within large and complex organizations.
- Comfortable with working with high profile leaders and stakeholders.
- Work closely with social media team and channel marketing team to integrate social media the into the PR strategy.
- Promote LM in the media on a daily basis by sharing business results, important transactions, appointments, other news etc.
- Liaise with Compliance and Legal to ensure all press releases, announcements and media initiatives are within the legal and regulatory parameters.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 10 – 15 years of Public Relations experience within financial services, including explicit experience with asset management companies, including external and internal communications.
- Work closely with the US communications team to develop a strategy for the US market.
- Responsible for day-to-day media relations activities including seeking out and managing press inquiries.
- Evaluate incoming media requests to determine best response/approach.
- Coordinate interviews with portfolio managers, key executives, sales and distribution.
- Identify market trends and leverage thought leadership materials such as blogs, video, commentary to generate PR opportunities.
- Draft and edit media materials such as press releases, product pitches, presentations.
- Provide support to US team including managing weekly media calendar, daily dissemination of Legg Mason in the News and the reporting of metrics to management teams.
- Responsible for reporting PR and media engagement metrics, ensuring data accuracy. Monitors traditional, online, and social media, to track outcomes, and other metrics, as well as creates reports to better measure and illustrate value of PR efforts.
- Network transversally across the organization as required and maintain high standards of professionalism in all dealings with team members and external clients.
- Knowledge of the group’s goals and strategy within the Americas.
- Excellent understanding of Social Media strategy with proven experience of growth and engagement.
- Technical: Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint. Experience of Social Media Monitoring and Content tools.
Language proficiency (particularly French, Spanish or Portuguese) is a plus but not required.
Source: for more information click here.
- Experience 10-15 Years